Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Politics of Home Gardening

This is not a political blog, and don't worry, I won't be endorsing any candidate here. ;) However, I can't deny the political dimension to my decision to grow veggies in my backyard. Like most people, I value convenience. I let the produce come to me (or more specifically, my grocery store) from farms near and far. And yet the "eat local" crowd makes a good point. I'm just not sure it is responsible to support the practice of trucking in veggies from thousands of miles away, given how much fossil fuel this requires.

I'm reminded of patriotic Americans growing victory gardens during the war in the 40s. It would be nice if we had a renewed spirit of patriotism today, by confronting some of our wasteful habits. Becoming more self-sustaining by growing our own food is one way to do this. How much more local can you get than your own backyard?

This is the first time I've attempted to grow anything edible. It's nothing fancy. I'm not going to save the world by growing some tomatoes. But for me, it's a start. I urge you to do the same! There, I hope that wasn't too preachy. =D

No comments: