Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dirt! Potting Soil, Top Soil, etc.

I have to be honest, I do not understand all the different types of soil available. Who knew dirt could be so complicated? I started my tomatoes out in top soil, although I've since read that this isn't the best idea. I dunno, the plants seem to be doing very well. I had purchased a bag of potting soil to add to the containers, but it seemed very sandy. I'm not so happy with sandy dirt when I'm paying for it!

Why am I buying dirt? Because in my small yard, I don't really have any. Okay, I have some. I dug up about half a container's worth of dirt from my flower garden. I got some more from some land behind my property, but it's full of rocks and difficult to work with. I'm combining this dirt with the sandy potting soil I bought to fill the two tomato pots.

Oh, and I've realized that two tomato pots are not enough. I'm going to have to get some more. And also, more dirt.

No comments: