Thursday, March 27, 2008

Tomatoes and Limited Space

With rising food costs, growing some food at home sounds like a smart idea. We all could save a little money this way. Furthermore, home growing is just plain responsible in terms of reducing the need for veggies to be trucked around the country.

But alas, my dilemma: I have a small yard that gets very little direct sunlight. Most of the yard is entirely shaded, and the rest gets hit with sun maybe four hours per day. Looking over various seed packages, I'm discouraged to see just about every type of plant requiring full sun. Oh well. My plants are just going to have to made due with less.

I decide on trying out tomatoes. I know nothing about growing tomatoes. But I do know they tend to be both pricey and tasteless at the supermarket, so hopefully I'll solve two problems at once by growing my own. This blog will chronicle my progress.